Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I hate the holidays

I hate the holidays. I hate them for various reasons, depending on the holiday in question, but this post is going to be dedicated to the next one in line, Thanksgiving.

This one isn't the worst on my list, but it's definitely not my favorite (I like holidays that have no obligation to them, Labor Day for instance - you aren't expected to do anything other than drink beer with friends and have a BBQ). I don't like Thanksgiving because I have horrible memories of being forced to go to my dads and make awkward conversation with his stupid wife and her kids. Not to mention the food was bad. Lately though they haven't been too bad... until it hit me that one vital piece has always been missing in my holiday celebrations that I traditionally hate... alcohol.
Don't get me wrong, I do love my family, but sometimes situations just need a little 'tolerance boost', and to do that, alcohol needs to be present. I'm not saying that I need to be smashed, but a glass of wine while cooking would make the kitchen seem less small and crowded, and a glass of wine during dinner might make my step dads sister a little more interesting and less awkward.

My husband's family knows how to handle the holidays - you can barely get in the door before being offered an Old Mill. Happy drinking to those that can during this fine holiday season.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online